Are you someone who has an old “amalgam” or metal filling? If so, you may think that this filling is unattractive, but nothing to worry about. However, you would be a bit off the mark. At Cardinal Park Family Dental in Leesburg, VA, we encourage our patients to consider the significant benefits of tooth colored fillings, which go far beyond cosmetic benefits.
Although that is usually a main reason that someone may want to look into composite fillings made of tooth-colored material, in reality, the benefits of tooth colored fillings are important to know. Just consider:
• An old amalgam filling can be compressed by those who grind their teeth, expanding inside of the cavity created for it, and allowing the tooth to weaken over time.
• The old fillings also required much larger spaces in order to properly adhere to the tooth, while composite fillings need smaller amounts of the tooth removed and are bonded.
• This means that one of the main benefits of tooth colored fillings is that they actually strengthen the tooth by being harder, needing a smaller amount of the tooth material removed, and by bonding to the tooth – essentially cementing it together.
• Tooth colored fillings can be an ideal way to restore a tooth, enhancing its strength and also improving its appearance. After all, an amalgam filling reveals itself in many ways, darkening a tooth or being quite obvious to the naked eye.
• Another of the significant benefits of tooth colored fillings is that they last much longer. They can stay in place, without failure or any weakening for 15 years or more. This is much greater a period of time than outdated amalgam fillings.
• They offer a dentist a more conservative answer. You may have once heard that a cavity required a dental crown because too much of the tooth had to be removed in order to preserve and fill it. However, the tooth-colored fillings demand minimal removal.
• They are matched to the natural teeth. The color of a tooth-colored filling is not just a general “white” but one that is created to match the patient’s tooth.
If you need a full-service dentist in Leesburg, or have additional questions about the benefits of tooth-colored fillings, or you, give us a call at our Leesburg, VA office at 703-779-2296. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.